Grassroots Latino nonprofits are on the front lines of the most urgent challenges facing our comunidad, but they lack access to funding to support their work. In 2014 and 2015, just 6.3% of U.S. foundation funding for international causes went to Latin America. And, of that, only 36% of funding went directly to organizations in Latin America.
Traditional philanthropy has left many Latino nonprofits out, and few tools exist to facilitate investment by Latinos in the causes they care about. That leaves a critical gap.
Part of HIP’s mission is to promote innovative, inclusive philanthropy, and technology has enormous potential to help democratize the field. That’s why, in 2014, we founded HIPGive, the only bilingual crowdfunding platform serving Latino nonprofits in the U.S. and Latin America. HIPGive:
- Opens up new funding streams for grassroots Latino nonprofits that don’t have access to traditional philanthropic funding
- Helps nonprofit staff gain critical fundraising and digital skills through training, webinars, and a digital learning center
- Creates opportunities for nonprofits to tell their stories and gain the visibility they need to take their work to the next level
- Connects nonprofits directly to individual donors in their home countries and abroad
- Highlights and promotes Latino philanthropy and generosity
Since 2014, HIPGive has helped hundreds of Latino nonprofits raise funds for their critical work, and allowed thousands of donors to give to causes they care about:
- $2 million + in individual donations
- 600+ nonprofits have raised funds
- More than $350,000 in matching funds offered by partners
- 12,000+ individual donors
- 200,000+ individuals reached annually online and through media partners, including NBC and Univision
Interested in HIPGive? Here’s how you can get involved:
- Partner with HIPGive to provide matching funds for a campaign (for every matching dollar a sponsor provides, individuals donate an average of $3)
- Create a dedicated fundraising page for nonprofits in your network
- Join HIP as a member and become a part of the movement to strengthen the Latino community
About Hispanics in Philanthropy (HIP)
HIP is a transnational network of funders that makes impactful investments in the Latino community in the U.S. and across Latin America. HIP’s mission is to strengthen Latino leadership, equity, and voice.