Founded in 1983 by a visionary group of Latinos, Hispanics in Philanthropy (HIP) established itself within organized philanthropy as a vehicle for promoting social justice and for tackling the challenges facing Latino communities.
HIP’s mission is to strengthen Latino leadership, voice, and equity. HIP has built a network of organizations, foundations, corporations, and individuals to disburse over $50 million to Latino communities over the past 30+ years. A recipient of the Robert A. Scrivner Award for Creative Grantmaking, HIP has long been admired in the sector for its collaborative grantmaking models and for organizational expertise in convening stakeholders at all levels to tackle issues affecting Latinos.
Description of the Leadership Position
The President must be a dynamic, charismatic leader that inspires and motivates the philanthropic sector to make bigger and better investments in the Latino community. She/He will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for HIP’s staff, programs, expansion, finances, and execution of its mission.
The new leader will bring longstanding relations in the philanthropic sector, a track record of managing and leading core issue program areas and day-to-day operations. She/He will be a proven fundraiser, courageous, fearless, and experienced cultivator of new and existing major donors, which includes: individuals, foundations, and corporations.
It will be critical for the new President to ensure that HIP is a strong and intrepid voice and thought leader for issues and challenges that affect the Latino community nationwide and keep HIP in the forefront of current and relevant philanthropic and programmatic funding, both nationally and internationally.
Key Responsibilities for the President
Leadership & Management:
- Advance HIP’s position as the thought leader in ensuring that Latino voices, issues and, solutions are part of the national conversation while advocating for policies, partnerships, and programs that provide relevance and community engagement.
- Actively engage and energize HIP staff, Board members, partnering organizations, and funders through a continuous and strategic focus on relationship building.
- Ensure ongoing national and transnational programmatic excellence, program monitoring and evaluation, and consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications, and systems. Recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve strategic goals.
- Develop, maintain, and, support a strong Board of Directors: serve as ex-officio of each committee, seek and build board involvement with strategic direction for local and transnational HIP initiatives and organizational development.
- Lead, coach/mentor, develop, and retain HIP’s high-performance senior management team and staff. Invest in the professional development of staff and expand the internal systems needed for growth.
- Build and maintain effective systems to measure progress, and regularly evaluate program components which will enhance the strategic and operational decision-making and provide the ability to measure successes that can be effectively communicated to the board, funders, and other constituents.
- Strengthen the organization by developing, mentoring, and motivating, the staff while investing in building the internal systems needed for growth. She/He will continue to build an experienced and talented staff and provide opportunities for them to develop and grow in the organization.
Fundraising & Communications:
- Expand fundraising activities to support existing organizational and program operations and future growth while fostering key relationships.
- Personally inspire and solicit major individual, corporate, and foundation gifts and significantly increase the number and level of gifts.
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications—from web presence to external relations—with the goal of creating a stronger HIP brand and reaching wider audiences.
- Leverage new and existing relationships to garner new opportunities for HIP, grow the organization, and maintain alignment with HIP’s mission.
- Be an external local, national, and transnational presence that publishes and communicates HIP’s work, support, and organizational goals.
- Work closely with staff to design and implement creative and comprehensive acquisition, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies for donors.
- Focus on external marketing and continue the branding of HIP as a leader in the philanthropy community.
- Build a deep understanding of HIP’s finances to strategize and plan HIP’s continued financial health.
- Create financial systems aligned with HIP’s work to predict and model growth and sustainability and to guide HIP’s grantmaking, organizational, and programmatic work.
- Partner closely and leverage effectively the high-caliber Board of Directors to increase the organization’s donors and key stakeholders for long-term sustainability.
New Leader Must Possess these Qualifications and Characteristics
The President will be a visionary and strategic leader with the ability to provide strong innovative direction for the organization. She/He will be thoroughly committed to HIP’s mission. All candidates should have a proven track record of strong, strategic leadership within the philanthropic and nonprofit sector. She/He will have credibility in the Latino community and concrete, demonstrable experience in relationship building, fundraising, and nonprofit management. Other qualifications include:
- A minimum of 10 years of senior management experience and a track record of effectively leading and scaling a regional or national organization that has established performance measurements and outcomes.
Proven track record within philanthropy of raising significant funds for ambitious projects.
- Ability to point to specific examples of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth.
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation.
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams and set and achieve strategic objectives.
- Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships and recruit new, highly-qualified members.
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures. Media savvy.
- Significant knowledge of finance and budgeting; ability to understand, project, and analyze financial models and strategic budgeting.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with seasoned interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills.
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and possessing an innovative approach to business planning.
Ability to work well under pressure and adapt to changing situations and priorities. Good judgment and consensus-building skills.
- Warm, welcoming, and approachable with the ability to collaborate with individuals of very diverse cultural and economic backgrounds.
- Self-confident, diplomatic, and tactful.
- Inspiring, creative, visionary, and compassionate
Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree, ideally an MBA, highly desired.
An attractive compensation and benefit package will be provided to the successful candidate.
Procedure for Candidacy
Please email resumes to:
Azzani Search Consultants – email@example.com.