Location: Oakland, CA or Remote
Reports to: Managing Director, Impact Investments
Area: Inicio Ventures (Startup Economy Wealth Generation Programs)
Position Type: 100% FTE
Inicio Ventures Overview
Inicio Ventures is an early-stage impact investment fund that backs Latinx founders across markets and industries, partnering with them to refine their ideas and scale their businesses. We believe Latinx founders bring remarkable ingenuity, incredible determination, and rich life experiences to their startup companies—yet they receive a tiny fraction of the funding and opportunities available to other groups. Inicio Ventures was formed to help close that gap by ensuring that Latinx founders can build equity and wealth in the startup economy. To complement our investment work, we manage LATINX Launchpad, a pitch competition series focused on growing the talent pipeline and a Venture Fellows program for grad students interested in being the next generation of Latinx investors.
Hispanics in Philanthropy Overview
Inicio Ventures, LATINX Launchpad and our Venture Fellows programs are part of Hispanics in Philanthropy’s (HIP) Startup Economy Wealth Generation impact pillar. HIP is a transnational network of grantmakers committed to strengthening Latinx communities across the Americas. HIP connects and convenes funders, nonprofits, researchers, and other leaders to identify emerging needs among Latinos as well as best practices for responsive and effective funding of social change. HIP pioneers new philanthropic models by leading collaborative initiatives and has provided grants and training to help build the capacity of more than 800 organizations and leaders.
This is an early career position for candidates interested in blending their venture experience with positive impact. You will have the opportunity to be actively engaged across all of our investment related programs. The type of projects you will support and ultimately manage will vary by goal and scope. Through this work, you will grow your investment acumen, domain expertise, industry relationships and understanding of the needs of the Latinx innovation community. This is an excellent opportunity for those interested in having a unique experience before applying to graduate school.
- The primary responsibility of the Venture Associate or Venture Senior Associate is to support across fund related programs within our Startup Economy Wealth Generation pillar of work
60%-75% of your time will be spent on supporting startup deal sourcing, diligence, closing and managing and, when appropriate, exit investments for Inicio Ventures initiative
- Along with peers, you will be responsible for creating effective qualitative and quantitative models and reports
- Provide senior program leads with project management support as needed for LATINX Launchpad pitch competition series, Venture Fellows impact investing internship program and field building projects
- You will executive processes and influence the improvement and addition of processes
Provide additional flexible support for operation and other programmatic projects, activities and tasks
- This is a Pre-MBA/Graduate role, with expectation that candidates are likely to matriculate to grad program within a few years
- 2+ years of previous work experience or equivalent life/work experience
- 1+ years of either early venture or impact investment experience and/or related accelerator, incubator or similar ecosystem builder experience and/or founder/executive at venture or impact startup
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and supporting the Latinx community
- Outstanding analytical, quantitative, and communication skills (including excellent spreadsheet modeling and powerpoint/slide development)
- Enjoys and thrives in supporting multiple concurrent workstreams
- Comfortable working in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment (a self-starter and resourceful)
- Has exceptional personal and professional ethics and integrity
- Enjoys collaborating with a spectrum of seniority levels, internally and externally, and from different backgrounds and experiences
- Has a history of being a creative problem solver
Hispanics in Philanthropy offers a range of benefits for full time employees including medical, dental, vision, 401K matching, commuter check benefits, discounts on services, as well as sick, vacation, and paid holiday time.
Daily use of computer and phone for regular communications with staff and team members. This position may be a remote position or based out of the Oakland office. Some travel will be required. Employees are required to comply with health and safety measures consistent with CDC guidelines, and federal, state, and local regulations.
How to Apply:
Submit an online application. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with preference to applications received by January 15th.
Hispanics in Philanthropy is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.